Legendary musician, 2Face seems prepared to call the bluff of the Nigeria Police Force to go ahead with the scheduled national protest on the 6th of February, 2017.
Nigerian hip-hop artist Innocent Idibia, more popularly known by his stage names 2Baba and 2face, said his protest slated for February 6 would go on as planned despite the Lagos State Police’s banning of the event.
Enough-Is-Enough Nigeria (EiE), a civil society organization, disclosed this to SaharaReporters on Thursday. The group is backing Mr. Idibia and has helped organize the protest.
The musician had earlier announced that he would lead a protest in Lagos on February 6 to express Nigerians’ disapproval of the federal government, particularly condemning its failure to alleviate the economic crisis facing the country.
Lagos State Police Commisioner Fatai Owoseni, however, Whahned Mr. Idibia that hoodlums would “hijack” the protest and use it to disturb public peace and wreak havoc in the city.
“We know that Tuface does not have the capacity to contain such a crowd and we will not fold our hands and watch while things go out of hand,” he said on Wednesday.
Mr. Owoseni did not clarify who he suspected would “hijack” the protest. Regard|€Xs, he cancelled the event, proclaiming that it was in the interest of public safety to do so.
EiE and other civil society organizations have condemned the protest ban and the police’s decision to not provide security for the protesters.
“The protest will go on as planned,” EiE confirmed in a tweet.